LOST secrets revealed.
So, I have been putting together an entry on LOST now for awhile and I just haven’t finished the single one I was going to do so, it will wind up being a bunch of entries over the next few days. I just finished watching (or is that rewatching?) Season 3. One thing I have to say is that the season holds up well in terms of the overall development of the series.
ABC dropped the ball on LOST. The numbers went down but, that has to do with how the network has handled the show more than anything else. When LOST first hit the airwaves, it wasn’t an immediate hit but it certainly was one of the hits that season for ABC and went a long way in bringing ABC’s overall numbers back up as a network.
Thing was ABC did something with LOST that I don’t remember them doing with any other series in recent memory. Namely, the network aired first run episodes and then reran the week’s episodes in a second timeslot on Saturday nights. What was good about that was that if you missed an episode you had another chance to catch it later on in the week. It’s something that is vitally important for a series like LOST where the storyline is so rich and intricate that if you do miss an episode you can miss significant plot points.
I always wondered why ABC didn’t continue to do that with the series.
Secondly, the series was moved into a later timeslot and a lot of people speculated the show LOST a bunch of younger viewers because of it. I still think not doing a second run during the week was the biggest part of the equation that was missing and truthfully I think ABC missed the boat by not continuing to run the series from the very beginning in a Saturday timeslot since the 3rd season finale. It would’ve given a lot more people the chance to catch up on the series from the very beginning and see parts of the story they missed.
Anyway, a couple of points about the mysterious flash-forward in the season finale. I’m throwing this out there, make of it what you will but, I if you watched the finale closely you’ll see how seamlessly this all fits.
Jack sees an obituary in the finale and winds up attending a viewing at a funeral home for someone who died. The funeral director tells Jack he is the only one who showed. There was a lot of speculation about who the person who was in the casket was. Well, it was Sawyer (James Ford). The other thing was at the end of the episode Jack meets up with Kate and shows her the funeral notice and wonders why she didn’t go. Kate towards the end of her meeting with Jack says she has to go because ‘he’ll be wondering where I am.’
A lot of people supposed there was some new man in Kate’s life and they kept trying to figure out who among the cast it could be.
Well, it was Kate’s young son.
Or maybe, I should say it was Kate and Sawyer’s son. See, if you were watching closely throughout, the season one of the things that was hinted at was whether or not Kate was pregnant. Pregnant as a result of her rendezvous with Sawyer (of which there were two on camera in Season 3 - maybe more off camera?). James Ford has never been good with sticking around for his kids and there is no reason to think when he got back from the island he was willing to make a go of it with a pregnant Kate or even if he tried that the situation worked out. He left his kid and the mother behind and it would go a long way towards explaining why Kate wouldn’t go to Ford’s funeral.
I don’t know if we’ll even find out in Season Four but, if it should wind up that Kate turns out to be pregnant and needs to leave the island to avoid dying - it fits that final scene of season three so well. Jack wants to return but, Kate with the responsibility of raising a child of her own can’t see returning to the island at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment